The Benefits of Getting a Home Energy Rating
Get all the latest news on home energy efficiency!
A home energy rating can result in major benefits!
It’s no big secret that energy costs are increasing at an alarming rate. What you might not be aware of though, is just how dramatic that increase is. For example, a recent study showed that American families earning a gross income of $50,000 experienced the following energy cost increases from 2001-2012:
- 2001: Avg. percentage of after-tax income spent on energy costs: 12%
- 2005: Avg. percentage of after-tax income spent on energy costs: 16%
- 2012: Avg. percentage of after-tax income spent on energy costs (projected): 21%
As a homeowner, this impacts you right where it hurts most: your wallet. That’s why increasing numbers of Americans are starting to pay more attention on ways to cut down on their energy consumption. However, in order to do that, you have to know where to begin and that starts with understanding how energy efficient your home is.
That’s the purpose of a home energy rating.
A home energy rating measures exactly how energy efficient your home is as compared to similar homes. It consists of a series of tests conducted by a certified RESNET Home Energy Rater and, based on the results, your home is given a score (or ranking) on the Home Energy Rating System or HERS Index.
Developed by RESNET, the HERS Index is the nationally recognized system for calculating a home’s energy performance, with a lower score equaling a more energy efficient home. For example, a standard new American home, built according to the latest energy efficiency standards, is awarded a HERS Index score of 100, while a typical resale home is rated at 130, making it 30% less energy efficient than it can be.
So how does an energy rating help you as a homeowner?
- It gives you a true idea about how much your home is really costing you.
- Your home energy rater will show you how you can cut your energy costs.
- You can discover cost effective ways to increase your home’s comfort level.
- It could help you add to your home’s resale value.
These are just some of the benefits associated with a home energy rating; a certified RESNET Home Energy Rater can provide you with more detailed information about the advantages of energy ratings and why you should consider doing one.
Buying a home is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make in your life, so doesn’t it make sense to get all the information...