Get all the latest news on home energy efficiency!
Choose Energy Efficient Appliances to Reduce Energy Bills
April 3, 2012
At a time where money is tight all around, most people probably aren’t overly concerned with home energy efficiency or energy efficient appliances.
But they should be.
Homes that are less energy efficient not only harm the environment but also harm your bank account by draining it through high energy costs. And some of the biggest direct contributors to energy inefficiency in a home are its appliances.
For example, older models consume up to 33% more energy than newer, Energy Star certified energy efficient appliances. By replacing them with newer ones, you can save up to $400 annually in energy costs! Not only that, newer, ENERGY STAR certified appliances have a longer working life. But what if you can’t afford new appliances right now? Well, there are still steps you can take to save energy and reduce your costs.
- Wait until food has cooled down before refrigerating it; it’s healthier as well as more energy efficient
- It should not be located near other appliances that emit heat, i.e., stove or dishwasher
- Check the door gasket to make sure the seal is intact
- Match the pot to the burner; heat is lost when a pot is too small
- Make sure the oven door seal is in good condition
- Turn off the oven a few minutes before food is ready; the oven heat will continue cooking it
- Wait until you have a full load before doing the laundry
- Try to do a cold wash as often as possible
- Don’t overload the dryer; this increases drying time, which results in more energy used
- Don’t pre-rinse dirty dishes
- Run the dishwasher at full capacity
- Use the air-dry instead of heat-dry option
A RESNET Certified Home Energy Professional can tell you if your appliances need replacing and what you should be looking for in new, energy efficient appliances. You can also visit our RESNET Interactive House for more energy saving tips and advice on how to bring down your energy usage.
Looking for more information?
High utility bills are a major concern for many American households today, and it should come as no surprise that appliances...»Read More Views:
If you're looking for some app-solutely amazing ways to save energy, check out our infographic on what we think are the top 5...»Read More Views: