Get all the latest news on home energy efficiency!
Make Your Home Energy Efficient for Summer!
May 4, 2015
May is the perfect month to start getting your home ready for the summer – energy ready that is. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Change the filters in your HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) system. Dirty filters contribute to indoor air pollution and increase energy costs by making your HVAC work harder.
- If don’t already have a programmable thermostat, now’s a good time to invest in one. A programmable thermostat can save you a significant amount of money over a long, hot summer.
- Test your system by setting your thermostat to cool and turn down the temperature. The air conditioner should start cooling your home; if it doesn’t, that means there’s a problem. Call a certified RESNET HVAC contractor to find out what the problem is.
- If you need to replace your air conditioner, do it now before the hot weather kicks in.
- If you have an outside AC unit, remove any debris that may have accumulated during the winter. Also, consider trimming or removing plants, leaves, or high grass that is located close to the unit. These could have a negative impact on your unit.
- Check your windows and doors for any leaks. Leaky windows and doors let hot outdoor air in while allowing cool indoor air to escape. The result is your HVAC has to work harder and your energy bills go up, so make sure you seal those leaks!
- Check your ductwork for any leaks. Sealing leaky ducts can save you anywhere from 10 to 20% on your heating and cooling bills.
- Examine your home’s exterior for any wear and tear or damage. Harsh winter weather can inflict some serious punishment to a home’s outer walls, exterior doors and roof. Making repairs now will not only lead to a more enjoyable summer, but also give you a head start on preparing for next winter.
To get a comprehensive idea of how to make your home energy efficient for summer, talk to a certified RESNET Home Energy Professional. They’ll be able to pinpoint where and how your home is losing energy, and offer cost-effective solutions to rectify the problems.
Looking for more information?
See how and why over 2 million homes have been HERS rated to date, saving energy and money for homeowners across the country!»Read More Views:
RESNET's 2015 Annual Report is out! Check out our scorecard for the year - all we'll say for now is that it's been a great...»Read More Views:
Harsh weather can cause all sorts of home winter problems for your home. This infographic shows you some of the more common...»Read More Views: