Get all the latest news on home energy efficiency!
Pay Less in Utility Bills!
April 11, 2014
High utility bills are a major problem for many American households. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce those costs and pay less in utility bills.
1. Opt for time-based electricity rates:
- Utilities vary price according to time-of-day usage.
- Apply for any available rebates offered by your utility.
2. Invest in energy-saving products:
- A programmable thermostat can save you up to 10% on heating and cooling bills.
- ENERGY STAR qualified appliances reduce your costs by up to 30% through using less energy.
- Use energy efficient lighting like compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) that use one-quarter to one-third of the power of incandescent bulbs.
- Look for low-flow faucets and showerheads to reduce water costs.
3. Reduce energy wastage in your home:
- Turn off lights when leaving a room.
- Unplug electronic devices that are not in use.
- Do your laundry in cold water.
- Match pots and pans with the same size burners on your stove.
4. Check to see if your home is suffering from energy efficiency issues:
- Check the insulation in the attic, exterior and basement walls, ceilings, floors, and crawl spaces. There could be gaps or insufficient insulation that is letting the cold penetrate into your living area.
- Look for air leaks around wall and ceiling joints, windows, doors, light and plumbing fixtures, switches, and electrical outlets.
- If you have a fireplace, check to make sure you don’t have an open damper.
- How energy efficient is your HVAC? Is it being properly maintained?
To fully understand how you can maximize your energy savings and pay less in utility bills, contact a certified RESNET Home Energy Auditor for an energy audit. Energy audits are detailed home examinations that pinpoint areas where a home is losing energy. Certified RESNET Auditors are energy efficiency specialists who can propose cost-effective solutions that make your home more comfortable and reduce costs. Talk to your local RESNET Home Energy Auditor about how they can assist you in reducing your utility costs.
Looking for more information?
High utility bills are a major concern for many American households today, and it should come as no surprise that appliances...»Read More Views:
If you're looking for some app-solutely amazing ways to save energy, check out our infographic on what we think are the top 5...»Read More Views: