Get all the latest news on home energy efficiency!
Tips for Saving Energy in Spring
Time flies so fast! It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the holidays and now… spring is around the corner! Soon we can look forward to warmer weather, flowers blooming and longer, sunny days. However, because you’ve spent the winter months hibernating in your comfortable home – maximized for energy efficiency thanks to the many RESNET articles you’ve read on saving energy in winter, the warmer weather might catch you off-guard! Fortunately, we can help; here are ten energy-saving tips to help you keep your energy costs under control in spring.
- Use cold water when you do your laundry; it could save you up to $63 a year.
- Make sure to clean or change your furnace filters regularly. Dirty filters slow down airflow, making the system work harder to keep you warm.
- Install low-flow faucets and showerheads to reduce your water bills.
- Reduce water heater temperature to 130° F to save energy and money on heating water; and wrap the water storage tank in a specially-designed “blanket” to retain the heat.
- Locate and seal air leaks, and check for proper insulation. These steps can save you up to 20% on heating and cooling bills, while also increasing home comfort.
- Take advantage of the sun’s heat in spring with window shades: close blinds on warmer sunny days and open them on the colder sunny days.
- Use a power strip to turn off all lights, appliances and electronics not in use. One switch to increase energy efficiency and reduce bills!
- Change your light bulbs to energy efficient halogen incandescents, CFLs and LEDs. Your energy use can be reduced by as much as 80%!
- Install a programmable thermostat and save up to 10% on your heating and cooling bills.
- When investing in new appliances, look for ENERGY STAR certified ones. They are more energy efficient and can help you reduce your electricity bills by 30%.
Looking for more information?
See how and why over 2 million homes have been HERS rated to date, saving energy and money for homeowners across the country!»Read More Views:
RESNET's 2015 Annual Report is out! Check out our scorecard for the year - all we'll say for now is that it's been a great...»Read More Views:
Harsh weather can cause all sorts of home winter problems for your home. This infographic shows you some of the more common...»Read More Views: