QuickStart Guide for Contractors
Here are the 5 easy steps to becoming a RESNET Qualified EnergySmart Contractor:
- 1. Sign Up Online for the RESNET Promotional Directory (see sample profile) and pay your RESNET Membership Dues.
- 2. Register with a RESNET Approved CEQ Provider (i.e. Contractor Education and Qualification Provider). Your CEQ Provider will set up your training and examination, and provide quality assurance for your work once you're certified. Find a CEQ Provider.
- 3. Get Trained. Arrange with your CEQ Provider (see Step 2 above) to complete the required 8 hours of online or in-class training (training method varies by CEQ Provider). Please note: If you have BPI Building Analyst or BPI Building Envelope certification, you are exempt from the training and examination; however, you will still need to register with a CEQ Provider.
- 4. Take the RESNET Exam. Testing is set up through your CEQ Provider. The RESNET EnergySmart Contractor Test is 50 multiple-choice questions with a 2-hour time limit. Once you pass the EnergySmart Test, your CEQ Provider will change your status in the RESNET Promotional Directory from "Candidate" to "Qualified". Please note: If your status has not been changed to "Qualified" within 30 days of signing up with RESNET, your directory listing will be temporarily suspended until you become Qualified. If your status has not been changed to "Qualified" within 90 days of signing up with RESNET, your membership will be terminated and your directory listing will be de-activated with no refund.
- 5. Start Marketing yourself as a RESNET EnergySmart Contractor. Join RESNET EnergySmart Home Performance Teams with energy auditors and other EnergySmart contractors to strengthen each other's businesses while better serving the homeowner. When your status in the RESNET Promotional Directory is changed to "Qualified," you will receive an email from RESNET containing EnergySmart logos and brochures that you can use to market yourself. Your EnergySmart designation sets you apart from your competition, so use it to your advantage!