Training & Examination Requirements
For your company to gain the "RESNET EnergySmart Contractor" designation, at least one representative from your company must complete a training course and pass an exam (if your company's representative is certified by BPI, you are exempt from both the training and the exam).
Training includes 8 hours of instruction which must be completed through an Approved Contractor Education and Qualification (CEQ) Provider. (Find a CEQ Provider). Training fees and delivery methods (online, in-class) vary by CEQ Provider.
Course Topics Include:
- Principles of energy efficiency
- Cost-effective energy efficient practices
- The house as an inter-related system
- Combustion safety
- Work scope procedures and prioritization
The exam is 50 multiple-choice questions, open-book, with a 2-hour time limit. It is administered by RESNET, and can be taken anytime. You must arrange your exam time with your CEQ Provider. If you do not pass the exam, you may re-take it. Exam fee: $50.
Once you pass the EnergySmart Test, your CEQ Provider will list your company in the RESNET directory as a qualified "EnergySmart Contractor/Builder".
All EnergySmart Contractors are required to sign up with a Contractor Education and Qualification (CEQ) Provider for their training and quality assurance (Find a CEQ Provider). Contractors who are exempt from the training and examination must still sign up with a CEQ Provider.
Your CEQ Provider is responsible for:
- Verifying your company information (including insurance and credentials).
- Granting your EnergySmart designation and listing it with RESNET.
- Managing the RESNET Complaint Resolution Process on your behalf.
- Ensuring you have and are using all the appropriate forms and notices required by the RESNET Standards.
- Providing RESNET continuing education credits and ensuring your completion of requirements.
EnergySmart Contractors must have a minimum of 6 hours of continuing education credits (2 hours annually) to be recertified every three years. Continuing education credits are obtained through your CEQ Provider.
To obtain your RESNET EnergySmart Contractor designation, you must:
- Provide proof of State License (where applicable) for your trade(s).
- Provide proof of insurance as appropriate: General Liability, Workmen's Comp.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions for participation on the RESNET website.
- Agree to comply with the RESNET Contractor Pledge and Code of Ethics.
- Agree to disclose to every customer any potential conflict of interest.
- Agree to comply with your CEQ Provider's Consumer Complaint Resolution Procedures and Policies.
Sign Up Now or call 404-220-7291