HERS Rater Information
What is a HERS Rater (Home Energy Rating System Rater)?
An individual who is certified by an accredited HERS Provider to inspect and test a home in order to evaluate each of the minimum rated features established by RESNET and prepare a comprehensive HERS rating according to Chapters One and Three of the RESNET Mortgage Industry National Home Energy Rating.
What is a HERS Rating?
A home energy rating involves an analysis of a home's construction plans and onsite inspections. Based on the home's plans, the Home Energy Rater uses an energy efficiency software package to perform an energy analysis of the home's design. This analysis yields a projected, pre-construction HERS Index. Upon completion of the plan review, the rater will work with the builder to identify the energy efficiency improvements needed to ensure the house will meet ENERGY STAR performance guidelines. The rater then conducts onsite inspections, typically including a blower door test (to test the leakiness of the house) and a duct test (to test the leakiness of the ducts). Results of these tests, along with inputs derived from the plan review, are used to generate the HERS Index score for the home.
What is the HERS Index?
A scoring system established by RESNET in which a home built to the specifications of the HERS Reference Home (based on the 2006 International Energy Conservation Code) scores a HERS Index of 100, while a net zero energy home scores a HERS Index of 0. The lower a home's HERS Index, the more energy efficient it is in comparison to the HERS Reference Home. Each 1-point decrease in the HERS Index corresponds to a 1% reduction in energy consumption compared to the HERS Reference Home. Thus a home with a HERS Index of 85 is 15% more energy efficient than the HERS Reference Home and a home with a HERS Index of 80 is 20% more energy efficient.
- Find training for becoming or maintaining HERS rater certification
- RESNET-EPA Scholarship for Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses, Women-Owned Small Businesses and Minority Business Enterprises
- RESNET Consumer HERS Index Brochure Printing Price List
- Builders Using HERS Index FAQ
- Recorded Presentation: Marketing Opportunities for Raters/Builders
Using HERS Index
- Version 3 ENERGY STAR Training Providers
- What and How to Become A Certified HERS Rater
- HERS Rater Certification Requirements
- RESNET Standards for Rater Professional Development
- Professional Development Courses Available and Course Archive
- Tax Credit Information for Raters
- Rater Seal of Quality
- Rater Insurance
- Opportunities for Certified RESNET HERS Raters to Expand Their Services to Include Energy Code Inspections
- Map of Rater Training Sessions
- How RESNET is Leading the New Energy Efficiency Marketplace Webinar
- Map of Version 3 of ENERGY STAR Rater Training Opportunities